Wednesday, April 13, 2016

WHEN PERSONAL TRAGEDIES STRIKE US ALL

This open letter is to Anderson Cooper and his mother Gloria Vanderbilt to thank them very much for the profound documentation regarding their close endearing relationship with one another–such candor that is so natural and truthful. It is magnanimous for you both to share and remind us all of your family's outstanding contributions to American history, starting with grandfather Cornelius, the pioneer in shipping and railway industrial progress. I still have my grandfather's brass name on his railroad hat. He was chief wrecker for a branch of the New York Central Railroad. Memories of his clean up stories still haunt me. Along with your history you also included the down sides of life, that we all have but often don't admit what life does to us emotionally.

You and your mother's careers are spectacular and so interesting to hear.  Often when I see you on TV I wondered if you would tell America about your fascinating family some day. And now you have accomplished it so well. And then I immediately saw you on TV jn action interviewing Donald Trump and his family.

I, too. was close to my mother who was a creative artist. what was passed down to me and my five children. I can relate to your mother since I'm also a designer of hats, an actor who portrayed Nellie Bly in monologues, writer of history and an investigative.journalist.

My life too has been bitter sweet as I wept with you both while watching your show.  Sadly my sons have all died tragic deaths also, as did your brother.  I admire you and your mother for speaking freely about your own tragedies. You are strong as eagles. Your family story will help others get through their deep grief and great sadness, too. 

Helene Smith,
W.E.N.